Monday, February 8, 2010

Salute to her

This is one incident I would never forget. It wasn’t anything extraordinary, just a simple gesture, by someone whom I had least expected to act that particular way. Of course it was her duty, her responsibility. But then, we don’t often get help from people executing that nature of job, which she was.
One of my friends stays in Faridabad. She has to take an auto daily from our college, till Badarpur Border. By meter it would have cost her Rs 80/-. But as a habitant of Delhi, one would know only too well, that the meters don’t work. Never. Most of them have technical problems. Apparently, the meter production isn’t done in right way. All the manufactured meters have faults.
So, the onus lies on our poor auto-wallahs. They have to act as meters, and that to a high-speed-running one, and decide the cost. So my dear friend, after half an hour of arguing with auto-wallahs, to drop her to Badarpur Border, since they didn’t find it attractive enough to agree to go that place, finally found one. He asked for Rs 120/-. We shooed him away. Then another. Same story. Then another. Then another.
All this time, I had noticed a woman traffic police officer sitting there and watching all this drama taking place. And all the time I was just cursing her, about how passive one could be. Then the green light shown. A fleet of cars and buses and already hired autos started moving. Then came another auto, which had no plan of stopping for us.
And the unexpected happened. That woman police officer, whom I had been cursing, ran towards the auto and stopped it. She told him to activate his meter, and take my friend to wherever she wanted to go.
We couldn’t thank her enough. She just smiled, like this was nothing great she did. Of course, the auto-wallah was bickering all the way to my friend, but it was worth it. And this, my article, is dedicated to her. To women as well as male police officers, who posses the sense of responsibility, just like her. JAI HIND.

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. Isn't it so humbling to know that people who you think are de-sensitised show you exactly how much bigger they are?
    Yes, it wasn't a big deal. This was probably that woman's duty. But how many such instances do we see?
    I, myself, am so relieved when an autowallah turns out to be nice, and chatty. Its such a nice feeling, talking to someone(who you think is borderline evil) and realising that they are actually amazing people!

    ReplyDelete