Saturday, May 1, 2010

This was the first time I had a talk about pre marital sex with my parents. It started with the discussion of Khushboo’s comment. And as expected, my parents completely opposed the idea of pre marital sex. When asked why, my father said “you have a certain background and certain morals. Pre marital sex is ‘unholy’.” What made it funnier was my father hardly was vocal with the word “sex”. He stopped at pre marital! That is it! I was to assume it was about sex.
I, of course, as a teenager with active hormones, reacted strongly to this. Firstly, is sex the deciding factor of one’s morals? Would having sex before marriage make you “unworthy” of living in the society? As for that matter, is the ‘society’ supposed to know when I am having sex???
My parents were shocked goes without saying. They hadn’t expected this coming from me. They said I was raised as a good daughter. Hence I wasn’t supposed to have sex before marriage. Again, needless to say, I refuted. Then there emerged a fight, which then resulted with me being shouted at.
Virginity, especially of a girl’s, is highly overrated. Girls are expected to behave in a certain way that again is decided by the ‘society’ around us. Drinking, smoking, drugs and sex apparently is tailor made for men. But if a woman enters the “restricted area”, she is termed as ‘characterless’, while a man is given leverage, only because he is a man, which again is none of his achievements.
While reading more about the same on the net, I read a comment by an activist. She had lived in England for nearly 30 years. And now when she is back in India, she finds India a lot changed and that too for good. She finds that youngsters are more pragmatic and very well aware of what they are indulging into.
I tried to reiterate the same to my parents. I am a 19 year old, legally allowed to indulge in sexual activities. Why then can I not have sex before marriage? Who are the so called “moral police” who decide what I should do in my personal life? What happens in my bedroom is nobody’s business. The “society” has no right to judge me. In fact nobody has the right to judge me. And even if I do indulge in sex, why would I proclaim it?
Moreover, is being a “good’ daughter only about getting married and have sex with a man whom you have never seen in your entire life and your parents point out him to you? And you have no option but to say yes!! Isn’t that a mellowed form of prostitution? The only difference being that it is recognized by the society?
What I cannot fathom is why sex is such a big taboo? Why is marriage seen as the license to have sex? Shouldn’t it be my decision whether I want to indulge in a no-strings attached sex or an emotional love making with a man?

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad you wrote this. Sex for pleasure, or even sex without strings of marriage attached is so contrived! Why must we be so hypocritical?
    Dammit, we have sex. We are a sexually active nation. Need proof?

    But even so, the 'moral' aspect that is attached to both sex, and sexuality is so misplaced, it is almost hysterical.
    And honestly, marriage is just a legal document. Does it prove committment? Or does it hint at a mythical concept that we don't process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree.. having sex before or after marriage is ones personal thing.. and when the law also permits it then why should the society bother..! Moreover it talking about virginity, how can a society proclaim a girl to be virgin..? Whats their base for the stat..?

    Also who the hell in the society decide wats moral or not when the entire society is a crappy piece of shit..!!

    Getting into ones room secretly and tapping stuffs are the really unholy thing.. There should be some privacy law..!!

    And if pre-marital sex is "unholy", then what the heck was running among our ancestors..?

    And I really don't think discussing sex with parents wont make a -ve or "unworthy" impression about their son/ daughter...!! Atleast they haven't discussed with neighbors... its their parents na...!! If its "unholy" or "unworthy", then why parents give their children sex advices..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. honeslty, it was so bugging to even discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. waaaaaaaaaaahhh! Christieee.. i LOVEE The posstt!! One question to those who think having sex should only b restricted to the person a woman marries. What If I do NOT like him touching me? What If I dont feel the chemistry physically with the man? What am I supposed to do then? Live a life of a saint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this post. its blatant and as outright as I hoped it to be and thankfully you have come out of the clutches of "politeness".
    The idea of pre-marital sex has extensive contradictions within. A 15 year old can have it, because she is married, her issues of satisfaction, pain, unwillingness is out of question.
    But a well-informed willingly performing intercourse with the person of her choice is profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you suna! and ankita you too for inspiring me by telling my i am out of the clutches of "politeness".
    i am glad you people liked my article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hhm........ thode halke topics chu liya kar bharkha dutt!!! k........
    see i could be a bit harsh but i wanna speak the truth...

    first of all.. let me make this very clear.. discussing sex with parents isnt taboo.. it depends on
    1)ur parent's openess
    2)ur comfortability with them
    3)their comfortability
    i have never found even a single time my questions being unanswered or rejected or me being silenced on these matters(or ne matter for that case)...{just to make it clear to u the same's with my sister}
    my parents have been quite vocal about these issues as they know that today's generation is impatient.. we need answers and hence they prefer being the portal than anybody else or any other means{which could provide wrong or inadequate information as well}

    secondly... who has told you to live acc. to the society???
    dnt play the game safe and blame it on the society..... pre-marital sex is your personal choice... you want it.. you go ahead and do it... dont give this bullshit of societal norms... you are hindered by your conscience and not by the SOCIETY...
    if someone actually feels that pre-marital sex is not wrong then they hardly think what the society thinks about the same... and just go ahead with it...
    who the hell told you that boys are given leverage in matters of virginity or pre-marital sex... just because you are a girl you think everything bad happens with girls and all good with boys??
    it seems you got too emotional and chauvinistic while writing the blog...


    thirdly... you are an adult...who has told you to have an arranged marriage?? go ahead and seek the right person... atleast dont blame parents for putting anyone out as a prostitute( sick!!!) they are our elders.. they have experience.. as one could not decide the right person to choose.. parents help in that case.. i dont understand what's wrong in that??

    and last of all... which world do you live in??
    those notions of 'good' daughter being the one having arranged marriage is so 1990's...

    i'll sum it all up as you make your destiny.. choose wisely and sensibly

    ReplyDelete
  8. alan i do NOT support this fact that i am hindered by my conscience!!! i mean seriously you think so???!!! even if there is a guyilty pang it is only because i am 'made' to believe that it is wrong! c'mon! don't flatter yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and discussing sex isn't a taboo..sex in itself is a taboo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHO HAS TOLD ME TO HAVE AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE?????? are you freaking kidding me??? really! get practical.... they are things yo have to weigh....

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am very much for pre marital sex...society includes people like my parents..and i am sure your too...( we belong to the same clan) :P.. they wouldn't like the fact of you thinking about indulging into sex before marriage...you must have talked to them about sex...but pre marital???

    ReplyDelete
  12. alan, i have big objection with you using the word prostitute.... BIG objection... please edit it ...and say sex working... that would be more apt... and would support your point of view

    ReplyDelete
  13. NO CHRISTIE... i will still stand by the fact that its its only and only our conscience(peer pressure also plays the major part)that u & i or any other person has not indulged in pre-marital sex... and never will...
    i know so many guys and girls who flaunt the fact of losing their virginity..(mind you!! out of these there are many who are commoners like u & me)... why did they indulge in these acts??? its because their conscience never hindered them..(or their conscience was drowned away by their desires..)... + they hardly bothered about the society...

    sex is not taboo... since when did it become???

    i have had a talk about the same(yes!! pre-marital sex to be very precise...)
    and my parents very coolly made me understand why it's wrong... they never ever mentioned societal barriers or any other rubbish related to the same...

    im quoting you.... see ur own blog.. u very clearly mention the word 'prostitution'..

    ReplyDelete
  14. mam... its 19th june... write a new blog....

    ReplyDelete
  15. i haven't found a good enough topic...:P

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh man!!...alan you are so right...i mean give this christie feminist a peice of life....to look at a broader spectrum....you just debated all that what i would have said to her....

    ReplyDelete
  17. my take is every person should have the right to choose for oneself. broadly u can categorize individuals in 2 groups. one who think that sex should be after marriage and others who support pre-marital sex. i belong to the former group and i feel that way just because i think thats right as i feel there are some things and some feelings that i should share only with my life partner not to mention that i also understand and respect people who dont think likewise. and yeah they are also right in their own way way. like if u feel like going for shopping u just go ahead or u feel like playing football u dont think twice before heading to the field. then why stop your self if u fell like having sex???

    ReplyDelete
  18. and it goes without saying there is no differentiation between guys and girls in my comment..

    ReplyDelete
  19. enough has been said here...but i still think those who think pre marital sex is not wrong, they have not seen their future in longer term. Though it is their choice what they choose why do I care. We can just try to make them understand.

    ReplyDelete